Saturday, February 21, 2009

Peace


Today is the 51st anniversary of the debut of the peace symbol. It was designed in 1958 by an artist named Gerald Holtom who purposely did not apply for a copyright because he wanted it to be freely used everywhere by everyone. He certainly got his wish: Half a century later, it is the most widely recognized symbol in the world.

The book in the photo is an advanced reader copy of a soon-to-be-released young adult novel called PEACE, LOVE AND BABY DUCKS by Lauren Myracle.

5 comments:

rob said...

Meravigliosa (marvelous)!
(and interesting text, too. Thanks)

Virginia said...

Well I have no explanation why this made tears well up in my eyes. It reminds me of the photo you shared with me but it's more than that. Peace.... a precious hope for us all. A lovely image Snap.
V

Sterl the Pearl's Daily Pics of Boulder said...

all we are saying is give peace a chance. peace to you.

Diederick Wijmans said...

What a great photo! Simply perfect for what is comunicates!!

Vivian aka Deborah said...

well now, you've learned me something today! The peace sign is very dear to my heart. It brings me back to my "becoming of age" years. I especially remember 1969, the summer of, when I was "in love" for the first time. I never forgot that boy.
There were also those Flower Power stickers all over. And my sister and I wore POW bracelets. Groovy, eh?
Oh and lets not forget about records! 45's were the singles. Do you know what they call the plastic piece you insert into the center of a 45 record so it fits on the recored player? Perhaps it doesn't even have a name.

Thank you for bringing me down memory lane with this photo.